- Job title:
- Graduate Manufacturing Engineer
- Stanley, County Durham, DH9 7YE
- £22,000 per annum plus benefits
- 12-Month Placement / Full time
WORKING AT NICHOLSONS
As part of the Production Team at Nicholsons, you will learn to design and develop the lean and flexible manufacturing processes required to deliver at-rate and right first time Nicholsons seals into our customer’s critical applications. Working alongside production engineers, team leaders and operators you will use engineering and process improvement tools and techniques to develop operational excellence in the precision welding, forming and finishing processes for seal programs.
Successful candidates will have the unrivalled opportunity to experience and contribute to real and critical industrial challenges within an agile, engineering-led and class leading organisation.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
During the 12-month placement, the Graduate Manufacturing Engineer will be tasked with an individual project targeting improvement of current production processes. Utilising academic skills, leveraging the deep experience of the wider Production Team and performing engineering analysis, physical trials, modelling and testing, you will be expected to research, analyse and create real added value in the area of production process improvement. Whilst challenging, the opportunity and real possibility that your first engineering project could both contribute significantly to Nicholsons knowledge base and be incorporated into live manufacturing processes upon completion is unrivalled.
Working in a rapidly growing, multi-national business with operations in the UK, US and Europe, you will have the chance to develop your skills and experience across a wide range of industry sectors with demanding blue-chip clients and in challenging aero-engine, subsea and research applications. Our commitment to full value stream vertical integration means that research, product design, process development, lean manufacturing, chemical/thermal processing, logistics and supply chain management are typically carried out from single locations.
This benefits our customers in providing full lifecycle, qualified, turn-key sealing solutions at rapid lead-times and benefits our graduate engineers in that they can experience the full product realisation and qualification process from inception to customer.
Before completion of the placement, there will be the opportunity to explore future roles and career development. The organisation has a real commitment to ensuring everyone reaches their full potential whilst contributing to the success of the business.
- Be predicted or achieved a minimum 2:1 degree in an engineering / manufacturing / materials degree or equivalent
- A valid UK driving licence is preferred but not essential
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Good engineering / technical knowledge
- Be a competent PC user. Experience of statistics and process modelling highly desirable
- Good problem solver
- Previous experience within a manufacturing environment is desirable
- Proactive self-starter
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with employees at all levels of the organisation
- Highly motivated with the drive to lead and influence change
- Good team player able to work well with and influence others
- Ability to prioritise effectively
Our Graduate Engineers will benefit from a private pension scheme, non-contractual Business Performance Related Bonus, 23 days’ annual leave (rising with service) plus Bank Holidays, a working week of 38 hours over 4 ½ days, offering excellent work/life balance and support towards relevant continued learning and development.
We welcome all applications however; you must be eligible to work in the UK.